Rogue Valley Kennel Club
Board of Directors Meetings Minutes
2021

RVKC Board Meeting MInutes, Wednesday, February 3, 2021
Meeting by conference telephone call.

 

 

Present: Lorain Abel, Mary Ward, Kathy Phelps, Cherie Ball, Colleen Douglas, Sharon Watson, Carolyn Strunge, Sandy Mazurek.

Absent: Vanessa James.

6:04 pm Meeting called to order by President Lorain Abel.

Minutes: Motion by Sharon Watson to approve the Minutes from the January Board meeting. Seconded by Colleen Douglas. Carried.

Treasurer’s Report: Each Board member received a digital copy of the Audit and the Treasurer’s report prior to today’s meeting. Treasurer Kathy Phelps gave a synopsis of the report. Treasurer’s report filed for audit. Budget committee will meet soon.

COMMITTEES

Awards: Awards chairperson Melanie Seepol sent a “last call” for Awards applications. There were few nominations for Member of the Year or Sportsperson of the Year.

Directory: The Directory is posted on the website for download and the few that were printed are ready for delivery.

Show:

  • The Premium was sent to MBF. It will have to be proofread when it is returned.

  • A judge has cancelled so another will have to be found.

NEW BUSINESS

Programs:

  • Nick Pisias will give a Zoom presentation on Lure Coursing at the upcoming Zoom general meeting.

  • Membership will be asked if they know anyone who can give a Zoom presentation of interest to the membership.

RVKC Bylaws: Mary Ward is working on a draft of revisions to the club Bylaws.

Future Board meetings: Until further notice, Board meetings will be conducted by telephone at 6:00pm on the first Wednesday of each month. The telephone number and entry code will remain the same.

6:31pm Motion by Mary Ward to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Kathy Phelps. Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully Submitted,
Cherie Ball
RVKC Secretary

RVKC Board Meeting MInutes, Wednesday, January 6, 2021
Meeting by conference telephone call.

Present: Lorain Abel, Mary Ward, Kathy Phelps, Cherie Ball, Colleen Douglas, Sharon Watson, Carolyn Strunge, Sandy Mazurek, Vanessa James.

5:06 pm Meeting called to order by President Lorain Abel.
Minutes: Motion by Sharon Watson to approve the Minutes from the November Board meeting. Seconded by Colleen Douglas. Carried.

Treasurer’s Report: Mary Ward, outgoing Treasurer, gave a synopsis of the treasury. Mary and Kathy Phelps, incoming Treasurer, did a December reconciliation together. Treasurer’s report filed for audit. After the audit is performed the Budget committee will meet mid January to prepare a budget for 2021. The Budget committee consists of Carolyn Strunge, Lucille Perry, and Jim Ball. Lorain Abel and Mary Ward will also participate. A draft of the Show budget has already been prepared. Transfer of accounts: Outgoing Treasurer Mary Ward suggested that she stay on the accounts for a period of time so she will be better able to help if necessary.

COMMITTEES

Awards: Awards chairperson Melanie Seepol will send awards applications out soon. Colleen Douglas, who is making the cutouts, needs to know what she needs to make soon since it takes time to make them.

Membership:

  • Two email notices for dues were sent to each member, followed by a letter to those who had not renewed yet, followed by phone calls to those who still had not renewed. This method of notifying the membership and collecting dues was judged somewhat slower than the previous method using only letters, but was deemed acceptable. A membership list will be prepared designating 2021 members and their level of membership.

  • It was pointed out that if, on the renewal form, an individual membership converts to a household membership, the second person would not have been voted into membership according to the bylaws.

A received Membership application: We received a membership application from a person living in Portland, Oregon. One of her sponsors, Vanessa James, explained that this person has a place on the Southern Oregon coast and that she intends come down for meetings and some other activities. She came to our Show in 2019. She makes dog show ribbons. The Board concluded that her application will be read when she attends a club meeting.

Show:

  • Preparations are coming along well.

  • All the judges have been contracted. Additional Breed judges may be needed.

  • Sharon Watson reported that the 4-H program is closed for an unknown time so they may not be available to help at the Show.

  • Deadlines are coming up for obligations to incur costs to the Club. February 10 is the deadline for when MBF would start working on the Premium which will cost $700. April is when the Premium list would be mailed. A proposal was made to plan on distributing only an electronic Premium. MBF maintains an extensive mailing list. MBF can distribute 3000 electronic copies for $240. May is the deadline to pay Indian Mary Park.

  • We cannot not predict what the COVID restrictions will be in June. The current status is that the Park is closed. One level of restrictions would limit the occupancy of the Park to 300 people at one time. It was suggested to try to consider something creative such as having part of the show at a different location or arranging to have people only be on the premises when they are showing and leave afterwards so there would be fewer people on site at one time.

RVKC Handling classes: The previous venue, the OSU Auditorium, is undergoing a total refurbishment due to asbestos. It is unknown if or when the venue will become available for the 4-H program and thus for Handling classes. It was decided that it is up to people interested in having a Club Handling Class to find a venue.

A multi Group Westminster AKC judge has moved to the area. She is offering Handling classes for a reasonable cost weekly at Home Away From Home Pet Spa.

January RVKC general meeting: The Grange is closed and it was suggested to try a Zoom meeting. It was suggested that Rheanna James has experience using Zoom and has agreed to help set up a meeting. The free version of Zoom limits the meeting time to 40 minutes. Secretary will send out notices and instructions. The meeting will include planning for the upcoming year.

CGC evaluator re-certifications: It was clarified that the evaluators pay for their own re-certifications and the Treasurer reimburses them.

RVKC’s Bylaws: RVKC’s Bylaws have not been revised for 8 – 10 years. Revision is now needed to allow for more flexibility to conduct remote, virtual meetings, and business via mail. President Lorain Abel has examples of other clubs’ Bylaws that were approved by AKC and address the need for options regarding remote meetings and voting by mail. Vice President Mary Ward will start the process of drafting revised Bylaws for the Club. Jim Ball volunteered to be a proofreader.

Contacting Lorain: Lorain reminded the Board that she reads her email at the office and she is not in the office on weekends or Wednesday afternoons. On the Wednesdays of the RVKC meetings, either email her early in the morning or, preferably, she can be reached by phone.

Future Board meetings: Due to a scheduling conflict, it was decided to change the Board meetings to 6:00pm on the first Wednesday of each month.

6:16pm Motion by Mary Ward to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Vanessa James. Meeting Adjourned.

Respectfully Submitted,
Cherie Ball
RVKC Secretary